Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Countly loads, take me home... USA 3, France 0

Whew! After about 48 hours in transit, a Chicago deep dish pizza, a couple sushi rolls in Tokyo, and a few heaven-sent ambien, we finally arrived in Bangkok. Getting out of our cab at midnight, the first thing I hear is a guy playing guitar on the side of the road, singing none other than sunshine on my fucking shoulder John Denver. Not the first thing you expect to hear upon disembarking 13,000 miles from home. What really gave me a chuckle was the desk clerk at the hotel singing along as we walked in - "Wet Virgina!"

Although everyone lands late in Bangkok, no one goes to bed. We headed straight for BKK party central, Khao San Rd. and proceeded to throw back Beerlaos like it was our fucking job. Ended up drinking with an interesting Frenchman named Thor til 6:30 in the morning, during which he challenged me to no less than 3 different arm wrestling matches in which I handily crushed him. Showed us a bunch of naked pics of his Indonesian ex-wife, pretty fun guy in general. Bad hangover - and I mean FUCKING bad - the next morning.

Here's a pic of my favorite place in Bangkok, and the holiest place in Theravada Buddhism, Wat Phra Kaew (The Temple of the Emerald Buddha) - absolutely mind-blowing...

No comments: